Exhibit Discusses Slavery at Belle Grove Plantation
On Saturday, March 19, Belle Grove Plantation will opened for the 2016 with a new permanent exhibit that discusses slavery at Belle Grove. It is on display of the lower level of the Manor House and may be viewed as part of the tour of the Manor House. Surviving records of the Hite family at Belle Grove indicate that they owned 276 individuals between 1783 and 1851. Belle Grove staff and volunteers are conducting archival and archaeological research to learn more about the enslaved and the exhibit will report on the findings to date. Information from the exhibit panels, that is linked to additional primary source material, is also posted free online on the Belle Grove website at www.bellegrove.org/about/enslaved. This page is currently being built and new information will be added as research continues.